RESPECT is growing everyday, everywhere!
Conakry Refugee School
- School's Mission (Goals):
- To help educate children abandoned after a government decision stating non-governmental organizations (e.g., IRC/UNHCR) were no longer able to support refugee schools in the capital, Conakry.
- To take these children from the streets.
- To offer high school graduates the vocational trainings (secretarial and computer skills).
- To offer adult literacy classes in English.
- Number of students: 1,427 registered (due to school fees problems only 896 regular)
- Number of teachers: 20
- Subjects taught: English, Literature, French, Math, General Science, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Government, Civics, Agricultural Science, Geography, History, Economics, Health Science, Typing, Computer Studies (only theory), and Religious Studies.
- Conakry Refugee School was the first school to partner with RESPECT in early 2002.
- Biggest challenges:
- To get external financial assistance to run the school.
- To get computers for practical work in our computer studies.
- Things students enjoy most: Academic studies, vocational studies, sports and pen-pals.