ISSN 1710-6931 January 12, 2007 Issue 90
FEATURE ARTICLES

New Computer Center Used To Train Refugees

Microchips, motherboards and Microsoft Office™ are usually not the first words associated with refugees, but the RESPECT affiliated computer center at the Mohomou Refugee School is changing that.

Despite being first time-users though, most Mohomou students are quickly adapting to the center's computers and are excited to learn other programs and use the Internet.

One student impacted by the center is 14-year-old Titus Kebbie, a Liberian refugee who has lived in Guinea since birth. Computer Center


Nepali School Joins Letter Exchange Programme

Tri-Ratna Secondary Bhutanese Refugee School in Beldangi-II, Jhapa, Nepal, is a new participant in the RESPECT International Letter Exchange Programme. It joined the program in October 2006.

The school is located in the middle of a refugee camp in the eastern part of the country and is run by teachers from the camp. Letter Exchange


Life in Refugee Camps

Videos available online at YouTube™ demonstrate the plight of refugees in Northern Uganda and Ghana as well as some of the solutions they have tried to implement in light of their condition.

Night Commuters In Northern Uganda, shows that children have not come to terms with peace talks between the Lord's Army Resistance Rebels and the Ugandan government as many of them seek refuge within Night Commuting Centers (run by the Anglican Church Of Uganda) in an effort to escape the problems faced in IDP (internally displaced persons) camps, including drunkenness, domestic violence and other abuses. YouTube Videos

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Education Opens the Door to the World

Education Opens the Door to the World is the theme for the 2006-7 RESPECT Annual Poster Contest. The theme was selected from a number of suggestions sent to RESPECT International.

Rules for the contest, including drawing specifications, can be found on our website.

For refugee schools, limited funds are available to help defray the cost of postage. For details, contact your RESPECT country coordinator or RESPECT International coordinator Marc Schaeffer.

Anyone interested in contributing to help refugee schools, can make a donation through our donations page.

AFFILIATES

RESPECT University: The Ugandan Chapter

The RESPECT University conducted a survey about the performance of its courses and how its students have received them. There were 14 students who have provided feedback and we were able to draw several inferences from their input.

First, we found that the role of the Agoro Community Development Association (ACDA) in providing publicity to RESPECT University courses is very significant as 78% of the respondents joined courses through ACDA. The remaining 22% of the respondents came to know about various courses from enrolled students. RESPECT University

As in any newsletter or magazine, RESPECT e-zine is committed to striving for interesting articles and announcements concerning refugee issues all around the world.

If you have any suggestions or would like to contribute an article, contact the e-Zine editor, Angela Carter, at editor@respectrefugees.org.

To be removed from our mailing list, please complete the online form at: subscriptions.respectrefugees.org.